I was introduced to essential oils a little over two years ago by a friend of mine who posted about an essential oil blend that was helping her digestion on social media. Having been someone who has dealt with stomach issue my entire life, I knew I needed to get my hands on this bottle of goodness that she swore by.
I want to preface this entire post by saying that this post is strictly written about doTERRA's Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils. Knowing whats in your essential oils is the biggest battle and I am confident in knowing that doTERRA's are safe for both myself and everyone that I recommend them to.
When I first started using essential oils, as someone who prides herself on using products on my body that are clean + 100% pure I was cautious about using something that I hadn't done my research on. Shortly after starting on my essential oil journey, doTERRA launched a website called Source to You that broke down the journey that your bottle of essential oil takes from the moment its sourced to the second it lands on your door step. The transparency that this gave me as a consumer, gave me the confidence to share my experiences and these essential oils with the world.
If you're at all interested, pop on over to Source to You and read through the information they provide us with. You can pop over to the GCMS testing page and enter the ID code on the bottom of your bottle to find the journey that bottle of oil has taken as well as the individual third party testing that has been done on your single bottle. If your oil doesn't pop up, it hasn't been uploaded into the systems just yet as they have many tests to get in there. It will be up soon as they work through their systems!
Now, let me share with you some of my absolute favourite uses for our top ten oils! There are two things people often ask questions about when they start on their oil journey; are these oils pure (which I addresses a bit more in depth above!) and how am I going to use them once I get them? I hope this blog post addresses at least a few of your questions and you leave with a list of new uses!
You know that fresh smell when you cut into a fresh lemon? That is exactly what you smell when you pop open the bottle of your Lemon oil. Its fresh, invigorating and inviting!
1) I add a drop to a glass of warm water in the mornings to detox my body and jumpstart my digestive system.
2) Add a few drops to my stainless steel water bottle (I love my Yeti cup with a stainless straw or my large Swell) to improve the flavour of your water!
3) Diffuse while cooking to help combat scents travelling throughout your home. You know when you walk into your house a few hours after dinner and the smell is still lingering? Lemon combats that!
4) Use as a natural cleaner mixed with some vinegar and water, use by itself as a natural Goo Gone, add a few drops to your dishwasher for sparkly dishes!
I grew up with the smell of Lavender always wafting through my parents home. We always had lavender sachets sitting in our PJ drawer and my mom always had dried lavender plants adorned throughout her home. The smell takes me back to childhood and will always have a special place in my heart. Now, how do I use it?
1) We diffuse this every evening to create a sweet, sleepy ambience in our bedroom. It helps both Aaron and I drift off to a sweet sweet sleep.
2) I apply to the soles of my feet when I'm travelling to calm any anxiety or nerves.
3) Applied to any skin irritations; sun burns, bug bites, burns, cuts, scrapes, bruises. This bad boy will be one you grab time and time again!
Mmmmm peppermint. The sweet aroma is simply addicting and always reminds me of candy canes.
1) I love adding a drop of the tip of my tongue to freshen my breath and wake me up!
2) One drop rubbed between your hands and cupped over your nose will give you that boost of energy without the crash like caffeine.
3) Add one drop to a cup of warm water to ease any digestive discomfort (PS: One drop equals 28 cups of peppermint tea!)
4) A quick dab applied to your forehead and temples when you're experiencing any head or neck tension
This blend here has a multitude of uses and if you give it a quick Google, you will find dozens of studies done specifically on doTERRA Frankincense in the health care realm. If you're a science geek at all like I am, you'll love the findings!
1) I add a drop daily under my tongue and will sometimes do one drop twice daily if I am feeling more overwhelmed or under the weather than normal. Frankincense is a natural anti-inflammatory and a very grounding oil so it works magic internally!
2) Diffused in my office to create a grounding work environment!
3) I add one drop to my facial moisturizer to combat any scarring or wrinkles that sometimes make themselves seen. It also works miracles on stretch marks or any skin imperfections!
I must say, Tea Tree is one of my least used oils BUT that doesn't mean it doesn't pack a mean punch. This oil here is one that I wouldn't be without cause when you do need it, its works its magic!
1) I apply one drop to any pimples that pop up to dry them up asap cause nobody has time for those!
2) I will gargle with a few drops in water when I am feeling under the weather to knock whatever it is out of my system
3) Apply one drop mixed with coconut oil to any skin irritations; poison ivy/oak, cuts or scrapes
This one here, sits in the back of the cupboard with Tea Tree but whenever the time comes that I do need it, I don't know what I would do without it.
1) I'll add three or four drops into an empty gel capsule (doTERRA sells them or you can buy them at your local health food store) to help combat any illness or infection in my body. I will continue taking it like you would an antibiotic (don't take longer than two weeks straight)
2) I love adding a drop into my chicken soups or tomato sauce for a fresh taste without the need for fresh Oregano (that often goes bad in my fridge, uber fast! Anyone else?)
This here is the oil that absolutely rocked my world when I first started using essential oils. I started using oils for my chronic digestive issues that we couldn't get under control and Digest Zen will forever hold a special place in my heart (and oil toolkit!)
1) One drop in water when I am experiencing stomach discomfort of any kind
2) A drop or two massaged into the abdomen or back when the food you ate was less than stellar, your tummy doesn't agree with dairy OR you aren't entirely sure what's going on in there
3) Diffused if you're experiencing nausea. This option is great for pregnant mamas experiencing morning sickness
4) Topically on the bridge of the nose for any nasal congestion (who would've known!!)
Ah! This bad boy here is a godsend to help keep up my immune system through all of my constant travelling!
1) I have been known to whip this out mid plane ride to apply it to the soles of my feet. It helps to boost immunity when applied or taken internally so my toesies suck this right up and get to work!
2) One drop under my tongue when I am experiencing a weakened immune system
3) When the above just isn't cutting it, I'll add a few drops to my glass of water and repeat that a few times a day to combat whatever it is my body is experiencing
4) Diffused, always!! This bad boy is always in our diffuser with whatever other oil I would like to ensure our home is always a clean and germ free environment!
This is a really fun study that was done by a young boy comparing a few other cleaning products with a single drop of doTERRA On Guard. The bacteria didn't stand a chance in that petri dish!
This right here, was the oil blend that got Aaron from the beginning. Both of us adore Deep Blue but his tired achy muscles from both work and sports, soak this blend right up. The Wintergreen helps to numb the area while Helichrysum gets to work on the inflammation.
1) Apply before and after workout to combat DOMS following your workout
2) I love taking a few drops of the oil and applying it to wherever on my body is injured or sore and applying a hot cloth over top. Water pushes the oil deeper into the muscle and the heat will drive it even deeper
3) Apply to your head or neck when experiencing head or neck tension that Peppermint can't seem to touch. I use my Deep Blue for those headaches that are just too painful!
This blend is absolute heaven and is one that is very commonly used in our home!! You know its a staple when Aaron grabs this one without prompting.
1) I love diffusing it with Lavender for a spa like experience and to help open the airways at night
2) I take two drops between my hands and cup them over my nose to open my airways and boost my energy prior to a workout. One drop massaged into your chest will also make said workout a bit more pleasant!
3) I will often grab one drop during the day when I am in my office and massage it into my chest. Breathe reminds to to do just that, breathe. It allows me to get present and calm my emotions when I may be getting a wee bit overwhelmed.
Share with us, what is your favourite way to use essential oils?
These bad boys here cover all of the basis when it comes to using essential oils. I love the feeling of empowerment that these oils (especially these ten) give me to take care of myself and my family, naturally. To grab yourself these top ten, email me with subject line, TOP TEN so I can get you added to our community and get some oils into your hands!
Peace, Love + Oils,